OH MY GOD. So I am always looking for something new to make because eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring and my ass does not and will not each salad every single day.
So I took my meal planning very seriously last week and wanted something fun. I cam up with tons of fun stuff, but this one was by far my favorite and a new one that we will be using more often than not.
With that being said, I am no professional photographer so my photos are taken by my phone so suck it up buttercup and just make this recipe because its golden!
Ingredients ( Click on the link for what I use)
- 1 cup quinoa ( I get mine at Aldi because its like a buck and includes brown rice, I also dont use the seasoning it comes with because its too much Salt.)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets and finely chopped (I buy this one at Sams for like 3 bucks)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided ( I used this coconut oil from Sams club, like 20 bucks and last me forever)
- 1/3 cup Panko
- 3 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste ( I used Himalayan salt)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter ( I used Kerrygold grass-fed butter)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour ( I usually would use coconut flour or almond flour, but ran out)
- 2 cups 2% milk ( I used Cashew unsweetened milk)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions. Within the last 5 minutes of cooking time, add broccoli on top and steam until cooked through.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add Panko and cook, stirring, until browned and toasted, about 3 minutes; set aside. I left it a little longer because i wanted it really crispy. I even added some Parmesan cheese for more taste.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil in the skillet. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to skillet and cook, flipping once, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces; set aside. I buy my chickens at Sams club so this is actually one chicken and half another one because I pound them and then slice in half. It save some money and I get more chicken this way for the week.
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in Cashew milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in quinoa, broccoli, chicken, 1 cup cheese and Greek yogurt; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep mixing once you’re here to make sure you incorporate everything together as you don’t want one part tasting different from another. It’s also super gooey and delicious because of the roux you make.
okay so STOP. Please make sure if you have kids that you incorporate them safely into helping you make meals. They love it, they learn, and you get to share this with your family and the memories last a lifetime. Also they will steal some of the food. So be very careful 🙂
- Spread broccoli mixture into the prepared baking dish/ I sprinkled it with some Panko on the bottom as well as some coconut oil spray; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Place into oven and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately, let it cool for the little ones, sprinkle with more panko and enjoy the heck out of it without the guilt.
Please please let me know if you try it and what you think of it.
Adapted from: www.Damndelicious.net