“You can’t make positive choices for the rest of your life without an environment that makes those choices easy, natural, and enjoyable.” — Deepak Chopra
Here I am sitting in my office (and by office I mean my room. Where I sit at my tiny little white Ikea desk, listening to Coldplay, with my lit soy candle, 3 self motivational books, and my Jasmine tea.) It’s where I feel myself these days and I am not ashamed of it.
I have been living in negativity for a while now, and of course it is my fault, but over the weekend and this past month I have had some sort of revelation and I have been working very hard to get myself into a positive mindset and I only have been able to do this with an amazing group of friends, an amazing Facebook page, and my own fucking self.
So if you have been negative, down on yourself, or just pretty much hating everything this blog is aimed towards you!
STEP 1 is to GET THE FUCK OUT OF THAT FUNK and START to LIVE YOUR LIFE.
Here is what has helped me during this journey and hopefully it can help you some.
1. Do you have a safe place? Somewhere where you feel like yourself. Somewhere you can be you and no one is watching? If not, then get one. Hence my Ikea desk. It is small, it is not made of the best wood in the world, I hit my head while building it, but when I sit on my hand me down chair I feel like myself. I feel like I am worth something. Go ahead and right now stand up and find a small space in your house that you can make yours. Throw some pillows, a blanket, a scented candle, and some books, and let this be the place you come to when you need to center yourself.
2. If you are like me you spend a lot of time on Social media and don’t let anyone give you a hard time for that. Social media is the shit and will be the future of all futures so get on that shit and create your dreams. First though you must delete any negativity. This is a place you check in so often so you need to make it something positive. I recently had to delete a few folks, unfollow a few friends, and join some motivational groups. Trust me it helps. So go through your newsfeed and unfollow any fucker that makes you feel like shit, or doesn’t uplift you. Go ahead and now join a group that will inspire you, that will make you want to be a better person. I recently did this and you have no idea how amazing it feels to log into my social media and see people lifting others up and not bringing them down. TRUST me on this one!
3. As for real life? Do the same shit. If someone isn’t making you happy or isn’t making you feel like you are GOD then delete them from your life. Family, friends, acquaintances, it doesn’t matter. Bye Felicia. We don’t have time for this shit and we definitely don’t have time for the drama and negativity so bye girl bye. Keep a small circle of friends that love you and ill always lift you up.
4. STOP right now and go to Amazon and get yourself some motivational self-help books. TRUST ME. They save your life, make you a better person, and inspire you to do anything your little heart desires. A few books I love and read over and over again are #girlboss by Sophia Amoruso, Girl Code and The Champagne Diet by the amazing Cara Alwill Leyba, and I am that Girl by Alexis Jones. These books are little daily reminders that I am amazing and I can achieve anything I put my mind to.
5. EXERCISE and EAT RIGHT. Nothing is worse than treating your body like shit and not fueling it with the right tools to survive. You can’t be successful or happy if you’re stuffing your face with cheese burgers every day. I am not kidding here guys (as I take my hand out of the kettle corn popcorn bag) indulging once in a while is great, but take care of you. It’s not expensive trust me I am a single mom on a budget and I eat right and exercise 3-5 days a week. It is doable, so stop the bullshit excuses.
6. What song currently is your life? Mine would be “Something in the Water” by Carrie Underwood (which BTW I am seeing her in concert this Wednesday and I couldn’t be happier). Music cures all things. It has taken me out of the darkest situations, but has blessed me with the greatest memories. So when you’re sad find a playlist that will make you happy, but when you feel like crying, put on some Adele, grab some tissues, and cry your eyes out. It is okay to feel sad and cry, it doesn’t make you weak, it makes you human.
7. Go out on a date with yourself. Buy yourself that dress, those heels, and go out to a nice restaurant or bar and buy yourself a drink. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You are ENOUGH.
8. Last… BE authentically you. Nothing makes you live in sadness and negativity than hiding your true self. I want to learn about you. The real you and so does the world. So stop hiding from everyone and stop being afraid of what people will think because if you surround yourself with good people they will love you for YOU!
As you can see these are all super easy things you can do on a daily basis to lift yourself and your life up, but you have to follow them. I can tell you a million and one things, but like anything, you have to be willing to step forward and do them. I have learned that life is way too short to not live it happy and negative free. It is not easy, but it is worth it.
Share below any tips you might have to live a more positive uplifting life.